Sunday, July 17, 2011

Hello Again!

I'm so sorry I've been away for so long. I was busy planning a first birthday party and I also went through a bit of a creative slump for a while. Luckily I seem to have got my mojo back, though, so I am back to creating. I have some digital layouts to share with you today.

Make sure you check back later this week as I will have some fun announcements to make!

Journaling: On the 2nd day of your life you had a hearing test at the hospital and failed. I was so shocked but tried not to worry, as the stats show that a lot of babies fail their first one. I told your Grandma Julie the news on the phone and she broke down crying which made me break down. For the next two weeks, your father and I wondered if you would be deaf for the rest of your life. Even though I know a lot about the Deaf community and even some sign language, that is not something I wanted you to have to deal with. Your second test was performed by an audiologist who was born deaf and assured me that you would be okay in life if you were deaf. I didn't want to think about that. You failed that test, which only about 10% of babies fail. Your father and I were devastated but your father had faith that somehow you would be able to hear. The next step was to have you see an ENT. Dr. Child looked in your ears and immediately saw fluid. This was great news as it meant that most likely that was causing you to not hear, although we couldn't know for sure until you got tubes in your ears to drain them. Your surgery was scheduled and while we were so nervous at how you would do, you did great. That morning I couldn't give you a bottle and you didn't freak out. You even smiled big for the anesthesiologist, which made it a little easier for me to give you to her. You looked so cute in your hospital clothes. Once the fluid drained, the Dr. did another hearing test and you passed with flying colors! Your dad and I cried with happiness. We are so lucky that being deaf is not a challenge you will have to face in your life.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous pages! Love the butterflies. I could spend hours looking at your work. But, I need to tend to my Paper Players duties ;) I'll be back and following along via Google.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...